Dr Robyn Grant
This person has left and cannot be contacted through the department. If they have provided contact details, they will be displayed below.
Now a lecturer in Behaviour and Physiology at Manchester Metropolitan University, find Robyn now at the division of biology and conservation ecology or by email at robyn.grant/at/mmu.ac.uk.
I am an Honororary Research Fellow at the University of Sheffield. My research interest lies in the fields of neuroethology and sensory ecology, in particular I focus on studying active touch behaviours and physiology, in rodents, marsupials and pinnipeds. I also work in collaboration with the Marine Science Centre, Rostock.
- Neuroethology of active sensing
- Characterising rat whisker behaviour in adults, and its development in neonates
- Comparative studies of vibrissal sensing
- Whisking in mutant mouse models
- High-speed video analyses in general (locomotion and whisking)
- Active touch sensing in harbour seals
- Funded by BIOTACT and DAAD
- Arkley, K.P., Grant, R.A., Mitchinson, B. & Prescott, T.J. (2014), Strategy Change in Vibrissal Active Sensing during Rat Locomotion, Current Biology, 24(13):1507-12.
- Grant, R.A., Itskov, P.M., Towal, B. & Prescott, T.J. (2014), Active touch sensing: finger tips, whiskers and antennae, Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 8:50.
- Milne, A.O. & Grant, R.A. (2014), Characterisation of whisker control in the California sea lion (Zalophus californianus) during a complex, dynamic sensorimotor task, Journal of Comparative Physiology A, 1-9.
- Grant, R.A., Sharp, P.S., Kennerley, A.J., Berwick, J., Grierson, A., Ramesh, T. & Prescott, T.J. (2013), Abnormalities in whisking behaviour are associated with lesions in brain stem nuclei in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Behavioural Brain Research, 259:274-283.
- Grant, R.A., Haidarliu, S., Kennerley, N.J. & Prescott, T.J. (2013), The evolution of active vibrissal sensing in mammals: evidence from vibrissal musculature and function in the marsupial opossum Monodelphis domestica., Journal of Experimental Biology, 216(18):3483-94.
- Grant, R.A., Weiskotten, S., Wengst, N., Prescott, T.J., Dehnhardt, G. (2013), Vibrissal touch sensing in the harbour seal (Phoca vitulina): how do seals judge size?, Journal of Comparative Physiology A, In Special Issue on the Sensory Biology of Aquatic Mammals, 199(6):521-533.
- Grant, R. A., Mitchinson, B., Prescott, T.J. (2012), The development of whisker control in rats in relation to locomotion, Developmental Psychobiology, 54(2):151-168.
- Arkley KP, Grant RA, Mitchinson B, Prescott TJ (2012), The relationship between locomotion and whisker touch sensing behaviours in the adult rat is mediated by familiarity with the environment, SFN New Orleans, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 884.06.
- Grant RA, Sperber A. & Prescott TJ (2012), The Role of Orienting in Vibrissal Touch Sensing, Frontiers in Behavioural Neuroscience, 6:39.
- Prescott TJ, Grant RA, Arkley KP, Rankov V, Mitchinson B (2011), Did early mammals have active vibrissal touch? Evidence from a comparative study of exploratory whisking in rat, mouse and opossum (Monodelphis domestica), SFN Washington, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 76.23.
- Arkley KP, Grant RA, Mitchinson B, Prescott TJ (2011), The relationship between whisking and locomotion in rats, SFN Washington, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 76.24.
- Ben Mitchinson, Robyn A. Grant, Kendra Arkley, Vladan Rankov, Igor Perkon and Tony J. Prescott (2011), Active vibrissal sensing in rodents and marsupials, Philosophical Transactions Royal Society B, 366(1581):3037-3048.
- Tony J. Prescott, Ben Mitchinson, Robyn A. Grant (2011), Vibrissal behavior and function, Scholarpedia, 6(10):6642.
- G. Gyory, V. Rankov, G. Gordon, I. Perkon, B. Mitchinson, R. Grant, T. Prescott (2010), An algorithm for automatic tracking of rat whiskers, proceedings of International Workshop on Visual observation and Analysis of Animal and Insect Behavior (VAIB), Istanbul, ICPR 2010, 1-4.
- Mitchinson B, Grant R, Prescott T (2009), Neural discretization noise in motor patterning: Insights from the vibrissal system, SFN Chicago, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 859.11.
- Prescott TJ, Grant RA, Mitchinson B (2009), Vibrissal movement in the marsupial Monodelphis Domestica: A clue to the evolution of mammalian sensorimotor cortex?, SFN Chicago, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 562.19.
- Robyn Anne Grant, Ben Mitchinson, Charles W. Fox, and Tony J. Prescott (2009), Active touch sensing in the rat: Anticipatory and regulatory control of whisker movements during surface exploration, Journal of Neurophysiology, 101:862-874.
- Grant RA, Ramesh T, Mitchinson B, Prescott TJ (2009), Effects of neurodegeneration on whisking behavior in the sod1 G93A mouse, SFN Chicago, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 364.7.
- Robyn A. Grant, Ben Mitchinson, Tony J. Prescott (2008), Development of whisking control in the neonatal rat, SFN Washington, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 29.16.
- Mitchinson B., Martin C.J., Grant R.A., Prescott T.J. (2007), Feedback control in active sensing: rat exploratory whisking is modulated by environmental contact, Royal Society Proceedings B, 274(1613):1035-1041.
- Robyn A. Grant, Charles W. Fox, Ben Mitchinson, Tony J. Prescott (2007), Active touch sensing in the rat: Change in whisker spread during exploratory whisking increases synchrony of contacts, SFN San Diego, Soc. Neurosci. Abstracts 403.26.