Dr Tom Stafford (Lecturer)
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, S10 2TP, UK.
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 6620
- The cognitive neuroscience of action selection
- Redgrave, P., Gurney, K., Stafford, T., Thirkettle, M. & Lewis, J (2013), The role of the basal ganglia in discovering novel actions , Intrinsically Motivated Learning in Natural and Artificial Systems, G Baldassarre and M Mirolli, editors. p129-150. Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Craig Bertram, Matthew H. Evans, Mahmood Javaid, Tom Stafford, and Tony J. Prescott (2013), Sensory Augmentation with Distal Touch: The Tactile Helmet Project, Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 8064, 2013, pp 24-35.
- Jeffery G. Bednark, John N. Reynolds, Tom Stafford, Peter Redgrave, and Elizabeth A. Franz (2013), Creating a movement heuristic for voluntary action: electrophysiological correlates of movement-outcome learning., Cortex, volume 49, pages 771--780.
- Martin Thirkettle, Thomas Walton, Ashvin Shah, Kevin Gurney, Peter Redgrave, Tom Stafford (2013), The path to learning: Action acquisition is impaired when visual reinforcement signals must first access cortex, Behavioural Brain Research, volume 243, pages 267--272.
- Fox, C. and Stafford, T (2012), Maximum utility unitary coherent perception vs. the Bayesian brain, Proc. Cognitive Science.
- Tom Stafford, Martin Thirkettle, Tom Walton, Nicolas Vautrelle, Len Hetherington, Michael Port, Kevin Gurney, Pete Redgrave (2012), A Novel Task for the Investigation of Action Acquisition, PLoS One, 7(6), e37749.
- Tom Stafford, Leanne Ingram and Kevin N. Gurney (2011), Pieron’s Law holds during Stroop conflict: insights into the architecture of decision making, Cognitive Science 35, 1553–1566.
- Tom Stafford and Kevin N. Gurney (2011), Additive factors do not imply discrete processing stages: a worked example using models of the Stroop task, Frontiers in Psychology, 2:287.
- Yates, D.J. and Stafford, T. (2011), Insights into the function and mechanism of saccadic decision making from targets scaled by an estimate of the cortical magnification factor, Cognitive Computation, 3,89-93.
- Eiser, J.R., Stafford, T. and Fazio, R.H. (2009), Prejudiced learning: A connectionist account, British Journal of Psychology, 100, 399–413.
- Eiser, J.R., Stafford, T and Fazio, Russell H. (2009), Prejudiced learning: A connectionist account, British Journal of Psychology, 100(2):399-413.
- Eiser, J.R., Stafford, T., Henneberry, J. , and Catney, P. (2009), “Trust me, I’m a Scientist (Not a Developer)”: Perceived Expertise and Motives as Predictors of Trust in Assessment of Risk from Contaminated Land, Risk Analysis, 29(2), 288-297.
- Stafford, T., Gurney, K.N. & Ingram, L. (2009), Pieron’s Law holds in conditions of response conflict, Proceedings of the 31th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, (pp 2238-2243, eds N.A. Taatgen & H. van Rijn). Cognitive Science Society.
- Eiser, J. R., Stafford, T., & Fázio, R. H. (2008), Expectancy confirmation in attitude learning: A connectionist account, European Journal of Social Psychology, 38(6), 1023–1032.
- Stafford, T. (2008), A fire to be lighted: a case-study in enquiry-based learning, Practice and Evidence of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Vol. 3, No. 1, April 2008, pp.20-42.
- Stafford, T. & Gurney, K.N. (2007), Biologically constrained action selection improves cognitive control in a model of the Stroop task, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 362 (1485), 1671-1684.
- Catney, P., Eiser, J.R.,Henneberry, J. and Stafford, T. (2007), Democracy, Trust and Risk Related to Contaminated Sites in the UK, Sustainable Brownfield Regeneration: Liveable Places from Problem Spaces, Ed. Tim Dixon, Mike Raco, Philip Catney & David N. Lerner. Blackwell Publishing: Oxford, UK.
- Stafford, T. & Wilson, S. P. (2007), Self-organisation can generate the discontinuities in the somatosensory map, Neurocomputing, 70(10-12), 1932-1937.
- J. Richard Eiser, Tom Stafford, John Henneberry and Philip Catney. (2007), Risk Perception and Trust in the Context of Urban Brownfields, Environmental Hazards, 7(2):150-156.
- Stafford, T. & Gurney, K.N. (2006), Computational Models of Cognition, An Introduction to Cognitive Psychology: Processes and Disorders. Second Edition, Ed. David Groome. Hove, UK: Psychology Press..
- Stafford, T, & Gurney, K. (2005), The basal ganglia as the selection mechanism in a cognitive task, Modelling Natural Action Selection, J. J. Bryson, T. J. Prescott & A. Seth (Eds.), pp. 77-83, AISB Press.
- Stafford, T., and K.N. Gurney (2005), The role of response mechanisms in determining reaction time performance: Pieron's law revisited, Psychon Bull Rev, 11, no. 6: 975-987.
- Stafford, T. & Gurney, K. N. (2004), The role of response mechanisms in determining reaction time performance: Pieron’s Law revisited, Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, 11:975-987.
- J. Eiser, J. R., Fazio, R. H., Stafford, T. & Prescott, T. J. (2003), Connectionist simulation of attitude learning: Asymmetries in the acquisition of positive and negative evaluations, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29:1221-1235.
- Stafford, T. (2003), Integrating psychological and neuroscientific constraints in models of Stroop processing and action selection, PhD Thesis, University of Sheffield.
- Stafford, T., and K.N. Gurney (2000), A computational model of response selection in the Stroop task, BPS Cognitive Psychology Section 17th Annual Conference, Essex, UK, British Psychological Society Vol 9, No 2.