Publications - current and forthcoming
Listed below are our publications to date and papers pending. Clicking on a link will open the summary abstract. Choose your download option from there.
Code for many of our models is available.
Publications List By Year
- Martin J. Pearson, Charles Fox, J. Charles Sullivan, Tony J. Prescott, Tony Pipe, Ben Mitchinson (2013), Simultaneous localisation and mapping on a multi-degree of freedom biomimetic whiskered robot, proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Karlsruhe, 586-592.
- Lepora N, Martinez U and Prescott T (2013), Active touch for robust perception under position uncertainty, IEEE proceedings of ICRA, in press.
- Tony J Prescott (2013), Sunny uplands or slippery slopes? The risks and benefits of using robots in care, UKRE Workshop on Robot Ethics, 25th March 2013, Sheffield, UK.
- Wilson, S.P., Prescott, T.J. (2013), Evo-devo design for living machines, Proceedings of Living Machines 2, Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems (LNCS) 8064:454-456.
- Glancy, J., Gross, R., Wilson, S.P. (2013), A minimal model of the phase transition into thermoregulatory huddling, Proceedings of Living Machines 2, Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems (LNCS) 8064:381-383.
- Caballero JA, Lepora NF, Gurney KN, (2013), Decision-making out of neural events: from discrimination information to psychometric power laws, BMC Neuroscience, 14(Suppl 1):P153.
- Wilson, S.P. (2013), The synthetic littermate, Proceedings of Living Machines 2, Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems (LNCS) 8064:450-453.
- Lepora N, Verschure P and Prescott T (2013), The state of the art in biomimetics, Bioinspiration and Biomimetics , 8: 013001.
- Mitchinson B, Sullivan JC, Pearson MJ, Pipe AG, Prescott TJ (2013), Perception of simple stimuli using sparse data from a tactile whisker array, proceedings of Living Machines 2 - Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems, London, Springer LNCS 8064:179-190.
- A. Blenkinsop, K.N. Gurney (2013), Multi-scale modelling with spikes and rate codes: a demonstration in a model of the basal ganglia, BMC Neuroscience, 14, Suppl. 1 P154.
- Bolado-Gomez, R., Gurney K.N. (2013), A biologically plausible embodied model of action discovery, Frontiers in Neurorobotics, 7(4).
- Gurney K, Lepora N, Shah A, Koene A and Redgrave P (2013), Action Discovery and Intrinsic Motivation: A Biologically Constrained Formalisation, Intrinsically Motivated Learning in Natural and Artificial Systems, G Baldassarre and M Mirolli, editors. Chapter 7, pages 151--181. Published by Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg. .
- Grant, R.A., Weiskotten, S., Wengst, N., Prescott, T.J., Dehnhardt, G. (2013), Vibrissal touch sensing in the harbour seal (Phoca vitulina): how do seals judge size?, Journal of Comparative Physiology A, In Special Issue on the Sensory Biology of Aquatic Mammals, 199(6):521-533.
- Martinez U, Dodd T, Natale L, Metta G, Prescott T and Lepora N (2013), Active contour following to explore object shape, IEEE World Haptics Conference, in press.
- Ashvin Shah, Andrew G. Barto, and Andrew H. Fagg (2013), A Dual Process Account of Coarticulation in Motor Skill Acquisition, Journal of Motor Behavior, volume 45, pages 531--549.
- Grant, R.A., Haidarliu, S., Kennerley, N.J. & Prescott, T.J. (2013), The evolution of active vibrissal sensing in mammals: evidence from vibrissal musculature and function in the marsupial opossum Monodelphis domestica., Journal of Experimental Biology, 216(18):3483-94.
- Redgrave, P., Gurney, K., Stafford, T., Thirkettle, M. & Lewis, J (2013), The role of the basal ganglia in discovering novel actions , Intrinsically Motivated Learning in Natural and Artificial Systems, G Baldassarre and M Mirolli, editors. p129-150. Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- P. Richmond, A. Cope, K.N. Gurney, D.J. Allerton (2013), From Model Specification to Simulation of Biologically Constrained Networks of Spiking Neurons, Neuroinformatics, 12, 307-323.
- Craig Bertram, Matthew H. Evans, Mahmood Javaid, Tom Stafford, and Tony J. Prescott (2013), Sensory Augmentation with Distal Touch: The Tactile Helmet Project, Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 8064, 2013, pp 24-35.
- Tony J Prescott, Tracy Epton, Vanessa Evers, Kevin McKee, Mark Hawley, Thomas Webb, David Benyon, Sebastian Conran, Roger Strand, Madeleine de Cock Buning, Paul Verschure, Paolo Dario and the Robot Companions for Citizens Society Community Working Group (2013), Robot Companions For Citizens: Roadmapping The potential for future robots In empowering older people, BRAID (Bridging Research in Ageing and ICT Development) Final Conference, Prague, May 29th, 2012. Springer-Verlag..
- Martin Thirkettle, Thomas Walton, Ashvin Shah, Kevin Gurney, Peter Redgrave, Tom Stafford (2013), The path to learning: Action acquisition is impaired when visual reinforcement signals must first access cortex, Behavioural Brain Research, volume 243, pages 267--272.
- Mitchinson B, Prescott TJ (2013), Whisker Movements Reveal Spatial Attention: A Unified Computational Model of Active Sensing Control in the Rat, PLoS Computational Biology, 9(9):e1003236.
- F. Mannella, K.N. Gurney, G. Baldassare (2013), The nucleus accumbens as a nexus between values and goals in goal-directed behavior: a review and a new hypothesis, Frontiers in Behavioural Neuroscience, 7.
- Jeffery G. Bednark, John N. Reynolds, Tom Stafford, Peter Redgrave, and Elizabeth A. Franz (2013), Creating a movement heuristic for voluntary action: electrophysiological correlates of movement-outcome learning., Cortex, volume 49, pages 771--780.
- Grant, R.A., Sharp, P.S., Kennerley, A.J., Berwick, J., Grierson, A., Ramesh, T. & Prescott, T.J. (2013), Abnormalities in whisking behaviour are associated with lesions in brain stem nuclei in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Behavioural Brain Research, 259:274-283.
- Evans M, Fox C, Lepora N, Pearson M, Sullivan JC and Prescott T (2013), The effect of whisker movement on radial distance estimation: a case study in comparative robotics, Frontiers in Neurorobotics, 6: 12.